Car fire causes tailbacks in Hitchin
A BLAZE in a car brought rush hour traffic in Hitchin to a standstill this morning (Thursday March 7).
Emergency services were called to the scene on the A505 at Moormead Hill, close to the junction with Half Acre at 8.30am, where a blue Vauxhall Astra was in flames.
Police closed the road while Firefighters from Hitchin extinguished the flames in an operation lasting about half an hour.
Highways officers were brought in to help deal with spilled oil on the road and the car was recovered, before the road was reopened shortly before 9.20am.
There were no casualties reported in the incident.
- Arsenal stun Spurs with £15.8m bid for Brazilian star
- 'Lessons must be learned' from diabetic former soldier, who died after benefits sanction
- Chelsea starlet to stay at Stamford Bridge with Madrid man close
- Improvements to East Coast Main Line could mean £5bn boost says Stevenage Council
- Commonwealth Games: Usain Bolt on Manchester United, the Gaza crisis, Scottish independence and Jamaican netball
- Biggleswade motorcyclist died on A1(M) after unknown driver pulled out in front of him