Car fire causes tailbacks in Hitchin
A BLAZE in a car brought rush hour traffic in Hitchin to a standstill this morning (Thursday March 7).
Emergency services were called to the scene on the A505 at Moormead Hill, close to the junction with Half Acre at 8.30am, where a blue Vauxhall Astra was in flames.
Police closed the road while Firefighters from Hitchin extinguished the flames in an operation lasting about half an hour.
Highways officers were brought in to help deal with spilled oil on the road and the car was recovered, before the road was reopened shortly before 9.20am.
There were no casualties reported in the incident.
- Jack Wilshere reveals new England kit at Hitchin school
- Tragic Charlotte drank "vast amounts" of alcohol before fatal balcony plunge
- Hitchin named in top ten places to live in the UK
- Man in 60s taken to hospital after Codicote collision
- Little Wymondley pub reopens with new family behind bar
- Relative of Stevenage gunshot victim killed on A1M just three days after shooting