Car fire causes tailbacks in Hitchin
A BLAZE in a car brought rush hour traffic in Hitchin to a standstill this morning (Thursday March 7).
Emergency services were called to the scene on the A505 at Moormead Hill, close to the junction with Half Acre at 8.30am, where a blue Vauxhall Astra was in flames.
Police closed the road while Firefighters from Hitchin extinguished the flames in an operation lasting about half an hour.
Highways officers were brought in to help deal with spilled oil on the road and the car was recovered, before the road was reopened shortly before 9.20am.
There were no casualties reported in the incident.
- Adebayor injury latest plus Mulumbu, Arsene Wenger, Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham news
- ITINERARY: What Prince Charles will be up to when he visits Bedfordshire tomorrow
- Sam Allardyce accuses Tottenham manager of 'immaturity' plus Roy Hodgson, England World Cup draw latest, Chelsea, Arsenal news
- Canaries boss Mark Burke delighted with signing of former Spurs player Terry Dixon, once hailed as 'Irish Wayne Rooney'
- GALLERY: Prince Charles tours Jordans Mill and remembers war heroes from RAF Tempsford
- New Morrisons opened in Hitchin by charity