Car fire causes tailbacks in Hitchin
A BLAZE in a car brought rush hour traffic in Hitchin to a standstill this morning (Thursday March 7).
Emergency services were called to the scene on the A505 at Moormead Hill, close to the junction with Half Acre at 8.30am, where a blue Vauxhall Astra was in flames.
Police closed the road while Firefighters from Hitchin extinguished the flames in an operation lasting about half an hour.
Highways officers were brought in to help deal with spilled oil on the road and the car was recovered, before the road was reopened shortly before 9.20am.
There were no casualties reported in the incident.
- Tottenham Hotspur boss Pochettino closes in on double Southampton raid
- 'Lessons must be learned' from diabetic former soldier, who died after benefits sanction
- Arsenal rocked as Madrid prepare double transfer raid
- Royal Anglian Regiment given freedom to parade in Stevenage
- Prince Andrew visits defence firm celebrating 60 years in Stevenage
- Stotfold football coach dies aged 51 after weekend game