Gigspanner will be playing at Hitchin Folk Club on Sunday night.
Formed by Steeleye Span’s legendary fiddle player Peter Knight, the band also features Roger Flack (guitar) and Vincent Salzfaas (congas and djembe), as a fairly casual arrangement..
In its original incarnation, Gigspanner started life as a duo, instigated by Vincent after he saw Peter play an improvised concert with globally renowned saxophonist, Trevor Watts.
A few gigs and festival appearances followed, but the pressure was on Peter to sustain the melody, and he felt that in order for the project to flourish, another ‘voice’ needed to be added to the mix.
Word of Roger’s flawless and highly sensitive playing had reached Peter, and a session in Peter’s kitchen sealed the deal.
Playing in pubs and bars in and around Hastings to ecstatic crowds, it soon became evident that the music was worthy of a much wider audience.
The trio embarked upon their first UK tour in May 2009, simultaneously releasing their debut album, Lipreading the Poet.
Members and non-members are welcome at the gig, at Hitchin’s Sun Hotel in Sun Street.
Entry is £14 for non-members and £12 for members. Doors open at 7.30pm.
- Digital editions of The Advertiser
- Hitchin osteopath removed from register for 'cynical attempts to prey on vulnerable and desperate people'
- Hitchin named in top ten places to live in the UK
- Tragic Charlotte drank "vast amounts" of alcohol before fatal balcony plunge
- Man in 60s taken to hospital after Codicote collision
- DYES LANE MURDER: Gunshot victim named